We like food. While we both live in the Midwest, we are both descendants of East Coast Jews. You know what that means. If not, you should. It means bagels, cream cheese, pastries, and planning your next meal while just starting the current one. While we keep this in check, it is part of our DNA and always lurking in our subconscious. That being said, we currently abide by the following dietary guidelines:
1. We Avoid Processed and Refined Sugar: Desserts are easy to avoid, but plain and simple, we do not keep sweets in our homes. If it’s not there, we can’t eat it. No white bread, white rice, white pasta, etc. If we do consume sugar from a bad source, it is usually from a 2 finger Glenlivet.
2. We Don’t Drink Pop: (or “soda” as Mike says): Too much crap in pop. Tons of sugar, and a waste to consume. If we crave carbonated stuff, we go to Zevia or we make our own naturally flavored soda water with a Sodastream. Is there any reason High Fructose Corn Syrup needs to be in our diets?
3. We Limit Grain Intake: Grains can be hard to digest. While they are a superior source of protein, we are careful which ones and how often we consume them.
4. We Eat Paleo as a Foundation: Meat, veggies, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, NO SUGAR. ‘Nuff said.
5. We Must Know Where our Food Comes From: We go out of our way to get our meat from a farmer. We go out of our way to get our veggies from a CSA farmer. Simply stated, grass fed, hormone free meat is a must. Fresh veggies as often as possible is a must. I know what you are thinking. And you are correct. It takes effort. We say, it’s a priority.